• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marc

marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:32 AM

Thought I'd put a pic of my tank on here seeing as I've put it everywhere else on the web latley :wink:  Hope its in the right forum ?

Ah ha... they seemed to appear here for a while, please scroll down!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
cheers

marc

#2 bluereef

bluereef

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 27,145 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:46 AM

Hi Marc
Yes you can post picture of your tank here or in general discusion forum.Problem is that RC dont alow posting pictures from their server to another forums,only what I see are  RC logo :wink: .
We also have upload functions here so you can upload your pictures on our server(picture size must be 50 kb or lower,same as in RC),if you have bigger pictures you can send them to me-  arbareef@yahoo.com  and I can post them for you.

#3 bluereef

bluereef

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 27,145 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:03 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 bluereef

bluereef

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 27,145 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:06 PM

Beautifull tank Marc  :wink:
Can you teel us more information about your tank(equipment,age of tank...)

#5 bluereef

bluereef

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 27,145 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:10 PM

Do you had DSB before and you are in the proces of removing him or ....oposite?
Like your aquascaping,loots of open space.

#6 marc

marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 01:27 PM

Hi Bluereef,

Thanks for sorting out the pic's for me :wink:

As for the specs I'll se what I can remember from the top of my head.

Size 50x24x30 sump size about 36x18x15

Volume is about 600 litres

It's been runnig since Sept '03

As you can see from the pics it holds various sps corals mainly (acro's, monti's, pocilopra, seriatopora etc etc) & a couple of lps corals. also present is a large patch of pulse coral in the center of the tank. It grows like a weed and I'd like to try to remove it or at least cut it back.

I have 10 fish:

Maroon clown
Scopas tang
Purple firefish
Dispar anthias
Rubrizonatus anthias
5 Green chromis

Equipment used consists of :

Deltec TS1060 skimmer
Deltec KM500 kalk stirrer
Lighting: x1 20k 250 radium halide & x1 10k 250w BLV Hitlite.
Flow: Tunze stream 6100 on single timer & Tunze 7400/2
Circulation is from an Eheim 1260/1262.. I cant remember which I used!
Heat control is via a teco chiller

I also run an IKS aquastar computer. This controls my lighting and measures the temp and pH of the system water. It is also used to control a heater and fan to deal with temperature in the colder months when I dont need the chiller.
I run an aquamedic dosing pump to control my evaporated water, this is run 24/7 and doses through the deltec stirrer for Ca addition also.
I also run carbon and phosban/rowaphos in the skimmer's mechanical compartment. However I just pulled both of these out to experiment with the thoery I read on reef central about p04 removers possibly causing poor grren/brown colours only in sps.

Feeding:

I use a variety of both frozen (krill, brine, mysis etc) & flake foods. My method is to usually add all of the foods to a container and soak them in marine deluxe. I then add this to the tank several times a day..or should I say I used too. I work longer hours these days so most of the food that goes in is via my eheim auto feeder that feeds flake and cyclo-peeze.

Since I have stopped adding as much frozen food my worm population has shrunk in size and I also noted that my flatworm problem went away, I had loads of them everywhere previously!

All in all I'm pretty happy with the system, I'd like more colour. There are several nice pieces in there but the camera does not pic them out well.
Also I'd like to add a centerpiece or 'show' fish. I have my eye on either a regal angel or achillies tang at the moment.

I should point out I work for an LFS in the uk.

Hope this makes some sort of sense ? Please ask any more questions  :009:

thanks

marc

EDIT... Just saw your other post concering the dsb. What has happened is that the tunze stream has caused the sand to shift at that end of the tank only,everywhere else it has some depth but not much. The max depth is about 3" in places.
I tried to keep the rockwork open as best as I could, I saw several tanks before I set this one up that used alot of branch rock to good effect. I tried to do the same with mine. I also wanted good swimming space and room for the corals to grow into. I forgot to say that most of the coral are grown from frags only. I only have about 3 full size colonies that I purchased from  lfs etc.

thanks again :lol:
cheers

marc

#7 bluereef

bluereef

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 27,145 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

I have 10 fish:

LOL,I have a thought that you dont have many fishes :lol: ,I saw only maroon clown.Are you beat them with the camera,obviously they have something against  pictures :009:

I also run carbon and phosban/rowaphos in the skimmer's mechanical compartment. However I just pulled both of these out to experiment with the thoery I read on reef central about p04 removers possibly causing poor grren/brown colours only in sps.

That is very discutable(does this word exist in english language??),maybe with the zeolit filtration that issue hold the water but I saw many tank with nice colours and they use both media.
Do you use carbon/rowaphos from the start?
Another reason for dull colour can be released nutrients from the sand bed during tunze storm(just a thought).
On the second thought when I started to use rowaphos my green montipora become almost white but I think that is caused because I remove the sand bed from my refugium,but he already release(IMO) stored nutrients in the aquarium water and when I start to use rowaphos that was probably stressed corals to much(suden change in water quality).I dont saw in the past similar reaction when I used salifert phosphat killer.
Is very interesting that pieces of montipora what are in shade have normal colour but the tips what are under the strong light are almost white,hmmm what is more interesting that only afect green montipora and brown seriatopora.Brown montipora what I also have,are the same.

I work longer hours these days so most of the food that goes in is via my eheim auto feeder that feeds flake and cyclo-peeze.

If you ask me that is more then enough,I use only flake food 2 x times a day and everything is the same as before only is more easy to keep water quality high,I am not  proponent of the "heavy feeding",like in RC.IMO that is waste of time,money and water quality.
I heard good thing about marine de luxe but IMO results ,with the corals we keep,are the same with him or without.

Since I have stopped adding as much frozen food my worm population has shrunk in size and I also noted that my flatworm problem went away, I had loads of them everywhere previously!

Yes that is true,I mentioned that issue before a year in the RC,flatworms are good indicator of water quality,if you have them to much something is wrong with the water(asuming that you dont have flatworm predator in the tank).Sometimes I cure live rock in one of my systems and boy are they prosper then,you cant see through front glass how many flatworms are there,when the things get under the control their numbers decrease.
Why you dont try salifert flatworm exit to eradicate them?

There are several nice pieces in there
Agree,few corals are really nice(I mean they all are nice but few big branching sps really make complete tank more beautifull) :wink: ,and plating montipora are also perfect.

Also I'd like to add a centerpiece or 'show' fish. I have my eye on either a regal angel or achillies tang at the moment.

Regal is more beautifull but is always a risk,due to him taste for corals sometimes and bad aquarium survey.
I like imperator,I have a weird thought to put two of them in the same time in my new reef aquarium(still in planing proces).

I forgot to say that most of the coral are grown from frags only. I only have about 3 full size colonies that I purchased from lfs etc.

Congratulations,IMO you have excelent growth with your corals.